Valentine’s Day is around the corner!
My children and I have been busy getting ready for the holiday to make it both special – and cool.
This first project for Valentines Day is all for me, and it’s been sitting in my craft stash for at least two years….
My latest creation is once again, not by my own idea, but utilizing a crochet pattern and flower patterns I found off of Ravelry. The wreath pattern I fell in love with is called Ruffle Wreath, by Kit’s Crafts Blog. Thank you for your links and inspiration!
In an effort to use things I’ve already had in my home, I didn’t spend an extra dime on this project. <BONUS!>
So – The pattern to create the first round for the wreath is the most difficult.
You can find the pattern here: Simple Statement Wreath by Good Knits.
I used TWO STRANDS of yarn for this and the first part of her pattern is what is really used to get around the heart.
You can see that the point on the bottom of the heart really doesn’t get covered up, until I purposely glued yarn to it after I was done crocheting.
The ruffle part of the pattern comes from here:
Ruffle Wreath by Kit’s Crafts
There are three rounds to this pattern, and I have a photo for each finished round below.
This is the end of the single crochet row, the first round of the ruffle pattern.
This is the end of the second round (Round 2) of the “Ruffle Pattern” by Kit’s Crafts.
This is the end of the third round of the pattern, the ruffle row.
After the crocheting is complete, I made some felt flowers to accent the wreath.
The rosettes were made from Little Things Bring Smiles blog.
Using a CD, I cut a circle from the piece of felt, and then cut a spiral into it. Starting from the center of a spiral with a bit of glue, I wound the felt up to make a rosette.
My first rosette.
This is a smaller rosette made with the outside ring left from the original felt circle.
Here are all three rosettes together.
The next flower I made is called the “S flower”and it had directions from The Fickle Pickle Blog.
I traced six circles from the bottom of a mug with about a 2″ diameter circle onto the felt.
Each circle gets glued as shown below, by first folding in half, adding glue and folding in about a third, turn the piece over as shown in step 4, and adding more glue before folding the last third of the felt “S” as shown in step 6.
I ended up only using five of the “S” shapes to create my flower, gluing the pieces to a seventh circle and adding a pink button to the center of the flower at the end.
The final type of flower I used on this piece had directions on the Kit’s Craft’s Blog. She calls it an 8-petal flower.
Essentially, I took eight (8) felt circles and sewed the folded tips of them together. If I were to do it again, I would sew the button onto the flower PRIOR to gluing the felt circle on the bottom.
The glue obviously (but not at the time) made it difficult to sew the button through all the layers of the flower and the circle on the bottom.
I could have easily just glued the button to the felt flower I suppose, but oh well! So many ways to do it.
I struggled with the “leaves.” I really wanted to use existing materials, so I tried various colors of pink and grey yarn to make the small pom poms and nothing looked good.
I looked at the original post on Kit’s Crafts blog and she had a beautiful color of olive green for her felt leaves. I wanted to use pom poms, so I made olive green pom poms and as soon as I made one, I knew I had to make the five I wanted to place on the wreath.
My mother in law helped arrange the flowers and the pom poms on the wreath and I was finally able to glue all the pieces down.
Here is the arrangement of flowers before the pom poms were glued down.
Another project done! Here’s the link on Ravelry. Let’s be friends there too! Thanks for reading this.
Tune in for the Valentines I did with and for the kiddos!